Fish tank.

Just went all the way to Bras Pasar to collect my 2 Ft tank. Man. What a journey.

I rung the doorbell and a rather tall and slightly muscular man opened the door. The guy was so amazingly tall, that if he had any head lice, they would have needed oxygen masks.
He smiled a big-friendly-giant smile and said:" you must be here for the tank." The smile put me at ease and I returned a smile and took a step forward to peeked into his house.

(Note:Any one who has a house in the middle of the city is ridiculously rich. Even if he owns a 3 room flat and hardly any furniture. It'll be still worth your while to at least take a peek of the house.)

So I took a step, accidentally kicked a concrete tile, momentarily lost my balance and I caught a glimpse of the interior. Promptly realizing three very important things:

Point 1: That fellow had a enormous tank in the middle of the living room. It was so big it could have housed a happy baby hippo.
Point 2: The man wasn't so tall after all. His floor was two steps higher than where I was standing. I realized cuz I missed the step and kicked it.
Point 3: My toe hurt.

I stood at the entrance of his house gaping at his tank like a silly dead fish. "Oh shit. That's a big tank". Those were the first words out of my mouth. I must have sounded like a yeti from Tibet, who had never seen an escalator before. He grinned a modest smile :"Aiyah. Nothing much lah. haha. Here's the tank." He pointed at the thing on the floor.

I was still staring at the tank when I noticed something move in the background. Then it moved in front of the huge tank. It was a woman. She had a angry/irritated look on her face. Possibly angry at the fact that someone had ignored her over a fish tank or possibly because she was having an important conversation and I had barged in on them.

Minutes later I was out on the road trying to drag the cumbersome fish tank to the MRT. Mind you, that thing weighs close to a ton. I could feel my muscles turning into really old rubber bands and my bones into over boiled spaghetti. I did a very tricky balancing act to get through the gantry at the MRT which surprised a lot of onlookers. (I should have charged them for the performance. ) By the time I put down the tank onto the platform floor My hands were trembling like washing machines on full spin.

Then I noticed everyone staring at me. I checked to ensure I had zipped up, before starting to feel very small and out of place, like a frog in a tank of piranhas. I hid myself at the end of the train like a crab in the sand and tried to make myself inconspicuous.

The bus ride produced the exact same frog-in-a-piranha-tank feeling and I was never more glad to reach home. By that time, my hands were trembling so hard I could have played the piano without bothering.

Then I realized a most ridiculous thing. I did nothing on my to-do-list. This is annoying. Its like making new year resolutions that you don't keep. The only one I did was the one which had "important" next to it. I shall either have to swear off making to-do lists or to put an "Important!" next to all of them.

ho hum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home